While the beloved Olympia Harbor Days festival won’t be able to operate normally this Labor Day Weekend, never fear! Working within Washington State coronavirus health guidelines, the South Sound Maritime Heritage Association (SSMHA) has re-engineered the festival to make it fun, interactive, and safe for all attending.
“While we want to continue our 47-year-long Harbor Days legacy, we are also aware that we need to offer a safe event for the public in this coronavirus pandemic era,” SSMHA board president Don Chalmers said. “We’re presenting a virtual event with safe at home community participation activities, Olympia Harbor Days Lite, which keeps our transitional tugboat heritage theme, while using online digital media content and other ways to provide family-friendly activities.”
There are many features to look forward to in Olympia Harbor Days Lite this year, including:
- Olympia Maritime Heritage Self-Guided Tour along the Percival Landing Boardwalk
- Links to a Decade of Olympia Harbor Days Videos of Tugboats, Races and Fun
- Lego Tugboat Building at Home with an Instructional Video
- Harbor Days at Home – Show off your design skills with maritime displays in your neighborhood!
- Estuary Beach Quest, Crab Bingo, and other Stay Safe at Home Activities for Kids- provided by the Puget Sound Estuarium
Also, don’t forget to gear up for the festival with logo hats, facemasks, collector buttons and Tugs at the Capital City Vol II
“The Association and its community partners, including the City of Olympia, Port of Olympia and Kiwanis, have worked diligently to accomplish their goals to keep the festival alive in 2020,” Chalmers said, “and to find new partners to help us present our traditional Harbor Days tugboat festival and races 2021.”