Tacoma Art Museum (TAM) is proud to announce the opening of South Sound Selects: Community Choices from the Collection on November 21, 2020! This will be the first exhibition to open at TAM since it closed in March 2020 due to the pandemic. It features 27 guest curators from the South Sound community. In addition, TAM will debut a new virtual museum experience for digital audiences.
“The concept for this exhibition continues our exploration of providing a platform for promoting multiple voices and interpretations of artwork. We want to challenge the assumption that only museum curatorial commentary can provide appropriate perspective and elucidation,” noted David F. Setford, TAM Executive Director. “We are also proud to announce that this exhibition will be our first virtual experience and provide digital audiences an opportunity to see a TAM exhibition as never before.”
Guest curators selected 37 artworks from TAM’s permanent collection that were made from the 1920s to the 2010s. The work selected ranges from local art stars like Qwalsius – Shaun Peterson (Puyallup) and Matika Wilbur (Swinomish and Tulalip) to internationally known artists like Jacob Lawrence and Carrie Mae Weems and explores a variety of interests from reflections on place to race to the impacts of COVID-19.
TAM worked with local photographer Jason Comerford of Jason Comerford Photography (https://jasoncomerford.com/) to make 3D scans of each gallery with a Matterport Pro2 3D camera. The series of 134-megapixel 3D scans were stitched together to create a virtual version of the exhibition in the gallery which can be complimented with additional texJason Comerfordt or resources. The program allows for digital visitors to move throughout the virtual space which will be accessible through the TAM website.
TAM members will be invited to the Museum’s first virtual exhibition opening on December 3 at 5:30 pm where they will have the opportunity to meet many of the guest curators and hear about the process of creating the exhibition. Any members of the press who would like to request a private tour may reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Visit TAM
· Advanced purchase of timed reservations can be made online at www.tacomaartmuseum.org.
· Wear a mask to enter and visit the Museum. Should you forget your mask, they will be available free of charge at the welcome desk.
· Leave coats and large bags at home if possible as coat check and lockers will not be available.
· Follow the predetermined one-way path through the Museum to help ensure compliance with visitor spacing and capacity limitations.
· Utilize the contactless and motion-activated hand sanitizer stations that will be available at various locations in the Museum.
For more information, or to view the virtual exhibit beginning on December 3, visit the TAM website.